For more than 20 years now the SignGes-Team of the Faculty of Humanities at RWTH Aachen has carried out research in the field of sign language. The research group consists of members who are hearing impaired as well as people who are not. It thereby contributes significantly to the inclusion of persons with a hearing impairment.
In 2014 the sign language research group integrated the RWTH gesture research group Natural Media to form the new center SignGes (Sign language and Gesture).
The following topics constitute the main areas of research and teaching:
- Sign language and culture of the Deaf
- Accessible communication, education and didactics
- Vocational rehabilitation and media literacy
- Linguistics and cognitive semiotics
- Co-speech gesture
- Multimodal interaction
- 3D Motion-Capture technology